The August meeting focused on the strategy and preparation for an appeal, emphasizing that it's never too late to consult with an appraiser to understand how they arrived at their valuation or rating. Here are some key tips to consider:
1. Be Prepared: Determine the desired value or condition and thoroughly review your property record card to identify any problem areas.
2. Land, Improvement, Accessory: For land, consider documenting physical issues using visuals like PowerPoint or posters. Look for properties with better land but lower values as potential comparables, even if they're not in your immediate neighborhood. Note that class A neighborhoods should share similar characteristics, but challenging sales figures can be challenging.
3. Improvements: The grade is a significant multiplier, and information may not always be available on public records. Check other property record cards if your house's grade is high (2.0 or more). Also, consider factors like year built, which affects depreciation.
4. Accessories like Docks: Document any problems or repair costs associated with accessories like docks.
5. Boats: This year, boat values have generally increased. Research various websites to understand the range of values and document depreciation trends created by appraisers in the past. Calculate the cost to replace broken or damaged parts, including labor costs. Be ready to challenge appraiser evidence and be creative in presenting your case.
6. Sit in on an Appeal: Attending an appeal can provide valuable insights into the process.
Our next meeting is on September 18th, with Mayor Brandon Johnson as our guest speaker.
Join us at the Hart County Property Owners’ Association meeting on Monday, September 18th, at 7 pm. Mayor Brandon Johnson will be our guest speaker, addressing a range of topics including annexations, growth, traffic, crime/drugs, and the upcoming election. Before the meeting, from 6:30 to 7:00, enjoy a social hour generously sponsored by Dock Depot. The event will be held at the Adult Learning Center, located on the lower level at the back of the Hart County Library. For more information, please visit us at hcpoa.info. We look forward to seeing you there.
September's Sponsor: Dock Depot